Thanks to last year’s massive success (seriously, people were lined up out the door), we’re proud to present our Second Annual Startupong, the ultimate ping pong tournament geared toward startuppers in the Toronto area.
This year, Startupong is taking place on Tuesday, October 13th at SPiN ping pong social club in Toronto, ON.
Startupong attendees will enjoy:
- Hurling tiny white balls at each other (competitively or just for fun)
- Complimentary drinks
- Delicious appetizers
- Great company from tons of cool companies
The real question is: Why not Startupong?!
In all seriousness, Startupong’s mission is to build the bond between local startups and provide startuppers with the opportunity to share their passion (while giving their wrists a workout).
“We wanted to find a way to give back to the community and strengthen the relationship between Toronto startups. There are so many people I speak with that want to know more about us and other cool startups in the area. We can learn a lot from each other. Too many events are focused only on founders. Startupong is for everyone else – people who are part of a startup now or looking to move into the startup world.”
—Randy Frisch, Co-Founder & COO at Uberflip
So, if you’re looking to make it rain with your business cards, this is NOT the event for you.
If you’re looking to hang out with like-minded startuppers in the interest of bonding over technology and having a good time, we’ll see you there!
What happened at Startupong 2014?
Did we mention that people were lined up out the door last year?
Last year’s event attracted over 800 registrants and brought together representatives from a variety of local startups including Wattpad, FreshBooks, Checkout51, and Influitive. Needless to say, the party was ON.
As for the ping pong tournament… let’s just say that the competition was intense. Last year’s reigning champions (and this year’s team to beat) was Gata Labs! Check out their shiny Startupong trophy.
You can check out more photos, videos and so on from last year’s event in our #Startupong stream.
Surviving Startupong 2015
The first rule of Startupong 2015: Tell all of your startupper friends about Startupong 2015!
Since we plan on making Startupong 2015 bigger and better and even more fun than Startupong 2014, we’ve made a few notable changes:
- More headbands: We’re painting the town rubine red! Since you’ll be working up a sweat playing ping pong (not to mention during your everyday startup hustle), we’ll be providing pink headbands to all! Everyone will be jealous of your stylish headgear. Trust us.
- We’re giving back: General admission Startupong tickets are free. Entry to the ping pong tournament costs $20 per player, with all proceeds going to the SickKids Foundation. [Note: If you’re interested in playing in the tournament, you must reserve a general admission ticket. Invitations to play in the tournament will be sent out to all general admission ticket holders at a later date.]
- Opportunity to skip the lineup: Want to get your whole team into the event? This year, we’re offering exclusive startup sponsorship packages that include t-shirts, extra drink tickets, and best of all, 10 guaranteed-entry VIP tickets! Click here to learn more.
Startupong 2014 was a proud day for Toronto’s startup community, bringing in many epic wins, but the sweetest victory of all was connecting with awesome people who are as excited about emerging technology as we are.
Hope to see you there, Startuppers!