Most clients have asked, “When should I connect with someone on LinkedIn”? Everyone has varying opinions, but I’m in full consensus that blind connection requests are NOT valuable.
Here are the events that have me reach out with a 2nd or 3rd degree connection…
Someone trying to connect with me (I will accept the following people)
- Can they add immediate value to me?
- Can they be an influencer/connector to decision-makers for me?
- Did they download an asset of mine, now checking out my profile?
Myself trying to connect with a buyer
It’s important to note that I don’t make a blind connection request. I will establish a relationship in advance with content, before asking to establish a LinkedIn relationship. Remember, a 2nd degree connection is asking themselves “what’s in it for me”, so you’re best to add value first with value insight.
- Have they shown a buying sign (downloaded an asset, commented/liked/shared my content, checked out my LinkedIn profile)?
- Do they now/or in the future present an opportunity to get in touch with my ultimate goal (the decision-maker)?
- Do they allow me access to competitive/corporate information I want to be privy to?
The Bottom Line
If you don’t want to be left behind the 8 ball – you need to start to take action. The following dozen blog posts on utilizing Social Selling strategies using LinkedIn can help you start. If you are really looking for some hidden gems on how you can attract a very specific prospect, I recommend you check out 9 Steps to a Winning LinkedIn Profile.
Find the topic of Social Selling interesting? Click below to book a time in my calendar to explore further!